South Africa’s oldest building is being entrusted to specialists in the construction, renovation and recycling of buildings, GVK-Siya Zama, for repairs and maintenance.
The first stone of the Castle of Good Hope, a pentagonal stone fortress, was laid by Commander Zacharias Wagenaer, in 1666 and construction was completed in 1679. It replaced the original clay and timber fort called the Fort de Goede Hoop built by Jan van Riebeeck when he arrived in the Cape of Good Hope in 1652.
The castle originally served as a replenishment station for ships passing the treacherous coast around the Cape on long voyages between the Netherlands and the Dutch East Indies (now Indonesia). The Castle was declared a national monument in 1969 and the Military Museum officially opened in 1995. Part of the William Fehr Collection, comprising South African-related paintings, prints, drawings, furniture and other objects, has been housed at the Castle for almost half a century.
The Castle has five bastions – the projecting parts of a fort, built at an angle to allow defensive fire in several directions – named Leerdam, Buuren, Katzenellenbogen, Nassau and Oranje.
Over 21 months, the seven buildings within the Castle walls will be repainted and have new carpentry installed. The deteriorated waterproofing on the roofs and ramparts will be replaced and the stone moat walls and banks will be repaired. The project also includes the refurbishment of murals, renovations to the Dolphin Pool and specialist plaster repairs.
Award winning architect Dr Gabriel Fagan and his wife Dr Gwen Fagan, who have been involved with the restoration of the Castle and subsequent repair projects since 1969, are the architects appointed for the project. Their knowledge of heritage work and dedication to the Castle assist in the sensitive approach to preserving the original fabric.SOURCE and FULL ARTICLE ( SAPROPERTY NEWS )
Posted in Commercial Property News
Fill out our quick contact form below to stay in touch with us, and we'll get back to you momentarily.